Update: May 29, 2020
The Allen House will reopen for tours beginning June 17th with a limited tour schedule. We will continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 and adjust the tour schedule accordingly. Please check our online calendar for available tour times/dates.
The Allen House is making the health and safety of our customers, volunteers and employees our highest priority. We are closely monitoring the developing situation concerning the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and following the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and local health authorities.
Here are some of the major changes guests will notice when visiting the Allen House:
- We STRONGLY encourage all guests/volunteers to wear a mask.
- We will have hand sanitizer in the gift shop for guests to use upon entering/exiting.
- The size of the tours will be limited to 4/tour. We strongly encourage “groups” to come together: families, couples, etc.
- Temporary plexiglass will be installed at the cash register.
- All tickets must be purchased online. NO CASH SALES at this time.
- The number of guests will be limited in the gift shop to adhere to the 6′ social distancing guidelines.
- NO PUBLIC RESTROOM at this time.
- We will be increasing our sanitizing/cleaning before and after each tour in public spaces.
- Guests will be asked to complete health screening. We will ask you NOT to visit if you answer yes to any of the following:
- Had fever/chills in past 14 days
- Had respiratory symptoms (difficulty breathing, cough, shortness of breath)
- Been in contact with a COVID-19 infected person.
- Traveled outside the US in the past 14 days
We continue to monitor the recommendations of local, state and national health authorities. We encourage anyone seeking further information on COVID-19 to visit www.kansas.com. The paywall has been lifted on this section of the newspaper. The Wichita Eagle is committed to giving our community the most up-to-date information.
Stay tuned for further information.
Located in the historic College Hill neighborhood at 255 N. Roosevelt, Wichita, Kansas, the Allen House is accessible through guided tours on specific days. Please check our online calendar for available tour dates and events. Check in begins 30 minutes prior to tour start time.
Preparing for your tour:
- Please stay with your tour guide at all times.
- In order to extend the life and preserve the historic character of the house museum, we ask you please do not touch interior walls, objects, art glass, furnishings, etc. throughout. Do NOT sit on any furniture.
- Smoking is prohibited on the property.
- Limited restroom facilities. One unisex bathroom located in the gift shop.
- Limited Handicapped Access. Once in the reception hall, guests will need to climb 4 stairs to access the first floor spaces. To reach the second floor, guests must walk up and then back down a flight of 20 stairs.
- All tours are guided walking tours. Self-guided tours are not permitted. Please wear comfortable shoes.
- No public tours the last Saturday of each month – reserved for House events.
- We encourage you to leave backpacks, large purses and camera bags locked in your vehicle.
- Please silence mobile phones.
- Gilded Garage Gift Shop is open during all tours.
- Online reservations are required as space is limited. Walk-in tickets cannot be guaranteed.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: Tickets are non-refundable. Exchange only. (Tickets are only refunded if the tour is canceled by Allen House personnel.)
- Parking: A grass and concrete parking lot is located south of the Visitor Center. There is space for 18 cars. Street parking is also available. Flat shoes are recommended.
- Photography: Interior photos are permitted on the Grand Tour FOR PERSONAL USE only. No interior photography of any kind is permitted on the Standard tour.
- For immediate assistance on availability call 316-687-1027. The Museum is closed on Sundays, Mondays and all major Holidays including but not limited to Easter, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- The Allen House is a privately owned property. Access is only available through our guided tours and/or public events/programming.
This beautiful home is conserved as a museum and available for guided tours thanks to the Allen House Foundation.
See “Events” calendar for tour dates/times. https://flwrightwichita.org/events/
Standard Tour: $22
For those Wright enthusiasts who want to learn more about the details, design and history behind the Allen House, this tour is for you! 90 minute guided tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright Allen House includes all the main rooms, second floor and interior gardens. This is a walking tour and you must be able to navigate stairs. The garden house is NOT included on this tour. (NO interior photography or backpacks allowed.) (Not recommended for children under the age of 12.)
Grand Tour: $40
Enjoy a deeper look at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Allen House and Wright’s Architecture. This tour will provide an extensive interpretation of the house details and the relationship between Wright and his architecture led by experienced Docents. You will be allowed more time in each room to experience the details of Wright’s architecture and also photograph details for personal use. This tour offers access to the garden house which is not included on other tours. The garden house contains a sampling of items designed by Wright during his lifetime. This is a walking tour and you must be able to navigate stairs. Plan to spend 2-3 hours in the house/gardens. Interior photography is allowed for personal use only. In order to receive a quality tour experience, we limit the number of visitors on this tour to 10 per group. (Not recommended for children under the age of 12.)
Moonlight Tour: $22
Join us for our “Moonlight Tour” and experience the house in its original lighting atmosphere. Tour length is 90 minutes. This is a walking tour and you must be able to navigate stairs.
1st Thursday of the month @ 7:00 pm beginning in February (Subject to change by demand. Please check calendar.)
Elsie Allen Art Tour:
Have you ever wondered about the history behind the artwork inside the Allen House? Come experience an in-depth look at examples of Elsie Allen’s art collection. Elsie was a major art collector and advocate in Wichita. She owned over 400 pieces of art at the time of her death. This tour will explore original pieces of art that are exhibited in the home. This tour focus is on the artwork but will also include a “mini-tour” of the home. Tour length is one hour. This is a walking tour throughout the home and stairs must be navigated. For a more in-depth tour about the home itself, please consider our Guided Tour or In-Depth Tour.
By appointment – please call for availability.
- Group Tour Limits – Minimum of 10, maximum of 25. Closed on Sunday, Monday and all holidays.
- School and University groups are welcome. Please call 316-687-1027 to schedule group tours.
- Suggested minimum age for tour attendees is 12.
- Members of the Frank Lloyd Wright National Reciprocal Sites Membership Program must present membership card. Click here for more information regarding the Reciprocal Site 2017 program.
- Admission fees: (2020)
- $22 Standard Tour Admission
- $40 Grand Tour Admission
- $22 Moonlight Tour
- $20 Elsie Allen Art Tour
- $22 Sunday Afternoon Tour
- $70 Private Tour for 2 plus $25 ea. additional guest up to 8 (call for reservations. Must have 5 day advance reservation.)
Follow us on:
Facebook Frank Lloyd Wright’s Allen House
Request a Private Group Tour
To request a tour for your large group, please click here to fill out a request form. Minimum of 10 guests and maximum of 25 to schedule a group tour. (Tours scheduled Wed – Sat, calendar permitting.)
Large groups – Limited restroom facilities – one unisex bathroom located in the gift shop.
To request a speaker for your organization, please contact Amy.Reep@flwrightwichita.org for more information.
Become a Patron
If you are interested in making a donation and becoming a patron of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Allen House, please click here.
If you would like to learn more about a rewarding volunteer experience at the Allen House and attend this session, please contact Amy.Reep@flwrightwichita.org.