***MUSEUM CLOSED SUNDAYS & MONDAYS***DOCENT LED TOURS ONLY - LIMITED NUMBER OF TICKETS PER TOUR - RESERVATIONS REQUIRED - *****Commissioned in 1916 and completed in 1918, Frank Lloyd Wright's Allen House is named after its first owners, newspaper publisher Henry Allen and his wife, Elsie. It was the last of the architect's famous prairie houses, which emphasized horizontal lines, earth tones and a continuous blending of interiors with exteriors.Architectural writers who have visited the house believe its living room is "one of the great rooms of the 20th century". The home features more than 30 pieces of Wright-designed furniture, all of its original art glass and several new-for-their-time innovations, such as wall-hung water closets and an attached garage. Restored back to 1918, the house exemplifies Frank Lloyd Wright's philosophy of living in harmony with nature. The house was pivotal in the movement to the Usonian designs of 1935. Interior furnishings manufactured by Niedecken Walbridge represent the last of twelve collaborations. The Allen House is considered by many visitors "the house of choice to live in!" Visit the site that USA Today considers one of the "10 great Frank Lloyd Wright home tours" in the nation. The Allen House is located in the historic College Hill neighborhood, 255 N. Roosevelt, Wichita, KS.
The Allen House is making the health and safety of our customers, volunteers and employees our highest priority. We are closely monitoring the developing situation concerning the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and following the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and local health authorities.
The Allen House is open for limited tours. When visiting, you will notice the following changes at the Allen House: (subject to change)
- We will have hand sanitizer in the gift shop for guests to use upon entering/exiting.
- The size of the tours will be limited to allow for social distancing. We strongly encourage “groups” to come together: families, couples, etc.
- Temporary plexiglass will be installed at the cash register.
- All tickets must be purchased online.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: Tickets are non-refundable. Exchange only. (Tickets are only refunded if the tour is canceled by Allen House personnel.)
- The number of guests will be limited in the gift shop to adhere to the 6′ social distancing guidelines.
- PUBLIC RESTROOM for tour guests only.
- We will be increasing our sanitizing/cleaning before and after each tour in public spaces.
- Guests will be asked to complete health screening. We will ask you NOT to visit if you answer yes to any of the following:
- Had fever/chills in past 14 days
- Had respiratory symptoms (difficulty breathing, cough, shortness of breath)
- Been in contact with a COVID-19 infected person.
- Traveled outside the US in the past 14 days
We continue to monitor the recommendations of local, state and national health authorities. We encourage anyone seeking further information on COVID-19 to visit www.kansas.com. Stay tuned for further information.